What are Dental Veneers?
Dental Veneers (also known as ‘porcelain veneers’ or ‘dental porcelain laminates’) are wafer-thin shells made from either porcelain or a resin composite. They are bonded to the front surfaces of teeth to improve the appearance of tooth shape, colour, size and alignment.
When are Dental Veneers used?
They can assist in creating a straight, symmetrical, white smile and are an ideal solution for people wanting to improve the appearance of:
- teeth that are discoloured due to root canal treatment, stains from tetracycline or other drugs, excessive fluoride or the presence of large resin fillings
- worn down teeth
- chipped or broken teeth
- misaligned, uneven or irregularly shaped teeth
- teeth with unsightly gaps between them.
What are the benefits of Dental Veneers?
Dental Veneers offer cosmetic benefits to people wanting to improve the appearance of their teeth. Dental Veneers:
- offer dynamic colour variation and translucency which mimics the appearance of tooth enamel to create a natural looking smile
- are made of bio-compatible material that gum tissue usually tolerates well
- require minimal tooth shaping during the fitting procedure, approximately half a millimetre of enamel from the front of the tooth is removed
- can be fitted during a painless procedure and often without anaesthetic
- are stain resistant
- do not require a separate or special cleaning routine
- can last up to 15 years, depending on the type of veneer selected and how well the veneers are maintained
- are often less expensive than other dental solutions for improving the appearance of teeth, such as dental crowns and orthodontic braces.
Dental Veneers are not a good choice for individuals who clench and grind their teeth; have unhealthy, weakened teeth; or have an inadequate amount of existing enamel on the tooth surface. The initial appointment with our dentist here at Great White Smiles will confirm your suitability.